When Liz gives you that special “look” and asks you to do something, you just can’t say, “no”. So, I agreed to share my thoughts on this edition of the “Arabian Wright’s” blog. Here goes…
Early this year, when Austin first told us that he had a “possible opportunity” overseas, I had an extreme case of mixed emotions. Since starting his career, his life has been one move after another. I have learned that when he says, “I may have an opportunity…” he is about to make a move. It has been exciting to watch as God has blessed Austin in his career. However, it has not been easy to watch he and my precious daughter-in-law move miles and miles away each time in the process. Until now, the longest move was to Pennsylvania (which somehow now seems really close to Texas). But, my first thought on the Middle East was “ You have got to be kidding!” Well he wasn’t kidding, and off to Oman they went, leaving me behind with a grieving Mother and Granny. I personally tried to take it in stride and only have occasional “watering of the eyes” from seasonal allergies.
My mental picture of the Middle East was the same as many Americans…barren deserts, extreme heat, and a population of people who despise us and all that we stand for. As Austin and Liz began to send us reports on their experiences, their reality was the exact opposite of my perception. Yet I was still uneasy about them being there. Then we took our trip to Oman to visit. And as extreme as the following cliché may be, this trip “changed my life”.
After 24 grueling hours of airplanes and airports, we arrived in Muscat. Walking into the airport was a total culture shock. The sights, sounds and even the smells were foreign to Ann and I and we were more than somewhat apprehensive. I had the feeling that all eyes were on us and that we were sticking out in the crowd. We tentatively approached passport control and awaited our “stamp”. After a few minutes there, we headed over to collect our baggage and went outside to find Austin and Liz. Our flight had arrived early and they were nowhere in sight! We looked around for what seemed like a long time (maybe 45 seconds) and then spotted them heading our way! After the hugs and kisses, we loaded into Liz’s jeep and headed out.
When we arrived, the first person to greet us was Eva. She is a wonderful Christian lady from the Philippines who is a real joy. Eva is truly a part of Austin and Liz’s family. She went out of her way to make our visit as comfortable as possible. I had a great time teaching her how to make Texas chili! I’m not sure she really wanted me messing up her kitchen, but she tolerated me and even tasted the results. She somehow smiled and frowned at the same time and said, “Yum”. I’m pretty sure she was just being kind. She only ate the one bite!
Their home is great. It sits directly on the beach. They have 3 stories plus a rooftop area with an incredible view of the ocean. The building is brand new and has a Middle Eastern feel to it with marble and tile surfaces and ornate handrails on the staircases. Yet, it feels “homey” with their furnishings that include an Amish cabinet from Pennsylvania and a big Texas map from Canton Trades Day that hangs in the game room. Several of their friends, who are also Austin’s co-workers from Halliburton, live in the same complex. They all visit back and forth like a big extended family.
I was totally confused most of the time as to what day it was. So, the following events may or may not be in the correct order…
On Thursday afternoon we drove around the city and visited the “Souk” which is the local market place. Austin was in his element bartering with the merchants as he purchased souvenirs, etc. for us at rock bottom prices. Since I had yet to grasp the exchange rate, I had to trust him on what the prices were. Ann purchased a camel figurine and I bought my Omani “cap” which now hangs in my office next to the framed “khanjar” knife that Austin and Liz brought me after their first visit to Oman. During the visit to the “Souk” we begin to see the friendliness of the Omani people. Everyone we met was gracious and considerate.
Friday morning came and we were excited about attending church. It was an awesome experience. It was great to meet all the friends they have both made in their short time in Muscat. Ann made the comment that, “the worship service was like a preview of Heaven”. There were Christians from many nations all worshiping and praising Jesus together. It brought to life the “Red and yellow, black and white... They are precious in His sight” song we all sang as kids in Sunday school. One African man stands out in my mind. His expression of joy as he sang and raised His hands in worship was priceless. As a parent, knowing that Austin and Liz are already plugged in and active in a vibrant church (much less on the other side of the world) is awesome. They’re both working in children’s church, Austin is playing drums in the praise band, and Liz is teaching Awanas during the week.
Saturday, we got up early and flew to Dubai. What an experience! A driver in a Range Rover (not your typical yellow cab) was waiting for us at the airport. He dropped us by our hotel to leave our bags and then we headed to the Dubai Mall (“the world's largest shopping, leisure and entertainment destination”). It was so big it is almost overwhelming. It is home to the Burj Khalifa, which is the tallest structure on earth. There is also an aquarium and underwater zoo as well as the Dubai Fountain, which is similar to the dancing fountains at the Bellagio in Las Vegas only with Middle Eastern music. We had a great day following Ann and Liz around the shops with a break in the middle to take in a movie. And yes, the theater was huge and totally over the top as well. We ended the day by eating dinner at …Texas Roadhouse!
Sunday, we went to the Mall of the Emirates. It is not as big as the other mall but has lots of designer brands I can’t pronounce at prices I will never afford. I couldn’t help but think of my car enthusiast friend Joe as we pulled into the circle drive filled with dozens of Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, and Bentley automobiles. The highlight of the mall is Ski Dubai. It was surreal watching people ride the chair lifts and ski down the slopes at the indoor ski resort! We stayed until late evening and then headed back to the airport to return to Oman.
Monday, the locals formerly known as Texans returned to work and Ann and I slept in. I guess the jet lag had kicked in and we didn’t wake up until Austin came by the house at lunch! Eva fixed us some grilled sandwiches that were amazing and we had a brief visit with Austin before he headed back to the office. After lunch we went outside and enjoyed some time in the pool. It was tough duty, but we managed!
Liz got home after her day at school and Ann went with her to Awanas. Ann had a great time meeting all the kids from the church. It was also “meet the pastor” day at Awanas so she was able to visit with the pastor and his wife, having an immediate bond with her because they both have grown children living far from home. I kicked back and watched Fox news and attempted to answer a few emails (I know). When everyone got home from work and Awanas, we went to Chili’s for dinner. While at dinner, we ran into Austin’s friend Ali. It was great to finally meet after hearing so much about him since they moved to Oman. He extended an invitation to take us on a special tour of Oman the next day. We accepted (a decision I will never regret) and then went back to the house for the evening.
Tuesday morning came and Ali arrived about 7:45 to pick Ann and I up for our “tour”. We drove to a beautiful marina near an area fittingly called Shangri-La. There we were meet by a captain who had an awesome boat reserved just for us! Then the trip of a lifetime began.
We were surrounded by beautiful waters that changed from aqua to blue to nearly black depending on the depth of the area. Stopping at landmarks that included mountain fortresses and beautiful rock formations, we were in awe of the beauty of Oman. We pulled into a harbor where the cruise ship sized private yacht of His Majesty; Sultan Qaboos Bin Sa‘id is kept. We viewed Sea Eagles (I didn’t even know they existed) and then were entertained by several schools of Spinner Dolphin gliding, jumping and spinning in the water. All along the way, our gracious host Ali was sharing his knowledge of the area and Omani history and culture.
After several hours of touring, we pulled into a beautiful cove surrounded by cliffs. The captain stopped and gave us our snorkel gear. Ann was in heaven! Climbing in the water, we discovered that we were on top of a beautiful coral reef that was home to schools of colorful fish and marine life. Ann and Ali quickly took off to explore the underwater world. I (the guy who learned to dog paddle at around age 13) did snorkel but stayed within life ring throwing distance from the boat. After awhile, I climbed out of the water to snap pictures of Ann and Ali who were much more in their element than me. A few moments later, the snorkelers spotted giant sea turtles swimming under them. There was a huge mother and a smaller (still big) baby following closely behind. Ann, who has snorkeled in many locations in the Caribbean, was having the time of her life and now ranks this as the greatest underwater experience she has ever had.
After everyone returned onboard, we headed out for lunch. Again, Ali had outdone himself. We arrived in yet another cove and waded up to a secluded beach. There, on the sand was a large tent set up where two men were waiting who were putting the finishing touches on a special feast prepared just for us! It included freshly prepared fish, shrimp, grilled chicken, rice with calamari, grilled vegetables, flat bread and a large basket filled with fruit. There was a traditional table as well as an Omani style setup with giant pillows on the ground.
After lunch, we walked on the beach and waded in the water, picking up shells and enjoying the beauty God has created there. During that time, a second boat arrived that was similar to ours except it was rigged for fishing! I was ecstatic. The captain transferred our personal belongings onto the new boat. We then waded out and got on board. Ali looked at me and said, “Now let the fun begin” and it did. After going a ways out, the captain dropped the lures into the water and let out line. We begin to troll and waited for the first strike. I was totally pumped when I saw the first tuna come out of the water behind the boat. I grabbed the rod and started reeling in my first catch of the day. Ali and I took turns bringing in the tuna and then on Ali’s next turn, the rod started shaking and we knew something bigger was on the line. Ali started fighting the fish and the captain quickly rigged him with a rod holder belt. We were like a couple of kids when we saw the colorful Mahi Mahi break the surface. We struggled through some photos trying to hold the heavy and really slick fish by the tail. After our Kodak moment, we released the fish back into the water.
It was awesome seeing Ali catch the big fish, but to be totally honest, in the back of mind, I was really, really wanting my opportunity. After several more tunas, my time came. The rod started shaking again, and I got to pull in my own Mahi Mahi. It was a total rush. They offered me the belt but I didn’t want to chance giving the fish any slack while putting it on, so I just put the rod against my leg and enjoyed the moment. I have a big round bruise on my thigh that I wear as a badge of honor in memory of the trip! As the day came to a close, we were able to watch a beautiful sunset over the water and then head home. Ali had given us a gift that we will cherish for a lifetime.
We returned to the house to find Liz suffering through a pedicure! Ann soon joined in by getting in the chair herself. Austin ordered in pizza (they even have delivery in Oman!) and we stayed home for the evening. Liz was working on her Dalmatian costume for the fall festival at school, so she and Ann drew black dots with markers most of the evening.
Wednesday morning, Ann went to school with Liz. She was so excited to get to meet the kids and see Liz in action. She had a great time and came in telling me all about the “precious kids” and how amazing “Ms. Liz” is with them. I enjoyed a quiet morning at the house and had a good opportunity to visit with Eva who is a real sweet heart.
When Austin came in, we were able to visit the main campus of their church and meet with the pastor at length. He shared with us about the awesome ministry they have to the international community in Oman. They have 51 nationalities meeting there at various times each week for services. God is good!
We got back in time to head to TAISM (The American International School of Oman) where Liz teaches for the fall festival. It was great meeting the kids as well as many of their friends. The school facilities are fantastic. Liz is truly blessed to be able to teach there and they are blessed even more for having her!
After the carnival we went to “The Turkish House” for dinner. The food was great. It was kind off “Middle East Cajun”. We ran in to several of their friends there which had become a pattern. It is amazing how many people they both already know.
Thursday was our last day and it came way too soon. Ann got up early to walk on the beach. Johnny came over and brought McDonalds for breakfast. They then took us to see Lulu’s Hyper Market, which is a huge Super Wal-Mart type store. It has a first floor with groceries and a second floor with everything from clothing to appliances. At night it is lit up like a Las Vegas casino. It was filled with people shopping and was a unique experience. I don’t really know how else to describe it. We ate lunch at Pablo Real’s, which is their favorite (probably only) Mexican restaurant. It was delicious.
In the afternoon, Austin took us to see his office at Halliburton. Then we returned to pick up our luggage and visit for a while at their house. Ann and Austin sat out by the pool for some Mom time and I did a quick “tour video” of their home to bring back to Granny. We later went to dinner at a Thai restaurant before driving to the airport for the return voyage to Texas.
After unloading our bags, we hugged the kids and shed some goodbye tears before heading into the airport. Although it was difficult to leave them, it was so much easier knowing how happy they are in their new home in beautiful Oman.
I stated earlier what a culture shock our arrival to the airport had been 8 days before. The departure visit was the total opposite. I no longer felt I was being stared at and I wasn’t focused on the cultural diversity of the people. Instead of strangers and foreigners, I saw mothers and fathers and children. Earlier I was timid about looking in the eyes of the people we passed. Now we were smiling and acknowledging those around us. Ann was complementing ladies on their cute kids to their receptive smiles of pride.
We walked onto the airplane thankful for new friends and the corrected perspective God had given us of the warm and gracious people of Oman!
No comments:
Post a Comment