It’s been a while since my last entry and was asked to do this one. On November 24th we had Thanksgiving at our home in Oman. It was outstanding… When Liz first mentioned hosting it at our house, my expectations were low. I expected a small turkey, a few side dishes, and a few depressed friends wishing they were in the US. It couldn’t have been more different. After I agreed for the party, Liz got in her “zone”. It’s hard to explain this “zone”, but she reminds me of Rocky before a big fight. I wouldn’t advise messing me her. She immediately started to invite friends and make arrangements. Within a few days we were expecting over 20 people. I was thinking to myself (obviously not out loud) where are these people going to sit, what are they going to eat, and who is going to fix it? I can’t cook a thing and Liz has never cooked a Thanksgiving meal. I started to get a little nervous, but stayed calm. I had confidence she would deliver. The night before Liz had found a rental place for tables and chairs. Unfortunately they didn’t deliver. In Texas this wouldn’t be a problem as you and your closest 20 friends all have pick-up trucks. However, in the Middle East trucks are VERY hard to find. She still stayed calm and called in a favor from a friend. This friend was a taxi driver that she got to know while we stayed in our hotel for 2 months. At 8pm and 5 minutes notice a delivery truck showed up at the rental store. We rented 4 tables and 30 chairs. The tables were delivered Wednesday night and it was time to start cooking. Liz had started, but still had a lot to do. She stayed up for a few hours that night and finished the rest the next morning. I woke up to a house full of amazing food! From turkey to dessert, it was all there. Around 12:30pm the people started to arrive. 35 friends later… it was a party! From Omani’s to American’s we had everyone over. It was great sharing Thanksgiving with others and I think it was well received. The best part of where we live is that we have a community pool and the ocean less than 100 yards away. It’s perfect for having friends over, especially kids. There were people inside, outside, swimming, and playing games. I really do not think it could have been any better. The party lasted from 12:30pm to after midnight. I was very impressed with my beautiful wife’s first Thanksgiving. She is already planning next year’s celebration. I am expecting over 100!
It won't let me load pictures right now, but Liz has them posted on facebook as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment