A-Tex had a birthday this last week, and sadly between deadlines and work, he was not really looking forward to it. I, however, LOVE birthdays and had to think of a way to get him out of his funk. After a homemade yellow cake with chocolate icing and a quick stop to the watch store, where he picked out his new birthday gift, he began to be in better spirits. Later in the evening a few friends went with us to dinner at ............. (I am giving you one second to guess)........You got it! None other than Austin's favorite Muscat restaurant Pavo Real, the only Mexican food in Oman! After eating way too many chips and chowing down on enchiladas, it was time for karaoke. Surprisingly, most friends at the table participated with the help of Pavo's infamous margaritas! Here is a snap of Austin singing Boys 2 Men. Yes, singing is not the boy's strong point, but we did have a great time listening. There is a video as well, but I would still like my husband to love me after this blog so I will refrain from posting.
Oh, yeah. If you look closely at the right side of the picture, you can see another cake. An ice cream cake. One suggestion if you move to the Middle East, don't order an ice cream cake for a birthday or anything unless you would like to drink it through a straw. For some reason, people do not understand the concept of ice... or freezers here. And I guess the candles didn't help. :/
And lastly, Austin's birthday could not be complete without a trip to Dubai. My theory was if I took him out of Oman, he couldn't work as much. I should definitely start thinking about these things since his boss works out of Dubai and Thursday is still a work day for them... oh well. We did do whatever Austin wanted to do which included eating Tex Mex and Roadhouse. Lunch, check. Dinner, check. Liz's 5 pounds, check. AND the hotel even thought it was our anniversary! When I called for reservations I asked about putting cake and champagne in our room to surprise Austin. This is what we got:
I guess I should "plan" more often. Austin definitely did not appreciate the rose art, but I thought it was very sweet. AND, of course, we ate MORE cake. Geez, no wonder I am up with heartburn at 4 am writing this........ And now, I am happy to say Austin is now one year older! Thank you Ann for enduring the pain of that huge head on April 2nd years ago... I kind of like him! ;)
Happy birthday Austin. I am lucky to call you my husband. I love you.

So So Sweet!!! I loved hearing your story! Thanks for sharing. He is sure lucky to have you, Liz!!
ReplyDeletelove,
charlotte