Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A word from Austin...


So it looks like I’m due for my first blog.  Liz has done a great job of covering our past adventures, but I wanted to touch on a few subjects that she has yet to mention; driving in Muscat and our trip to Nizwa. 

I have never claimed to be a “good” driver, but I do consider myself a defensive driver.  If there is one thing that I learned from my parents about driving, it is to never trust the other drivers.  In the US this is fairly simple.  Even in Houston traffic, you still maintain a few assumptions.  You assume the driver has been taught to drive and has a driver’s license.  You assume the driver knows to stay between the mayonnaise and mustard.  And you assume they have some fear that a cop may be waiting around the next corner.  Now take those assumptions and throw them out the window… welcome to the Middle East .  In the US , most of the time driving less aggressive is appreciated.  You move to the slow lane and allow others to pass or you can just pull to the shoulder.  You waive the other person ahead at a 4 way stop when you pull up at the same time.  You avoid honking your horn, and flashing your brights while tailgating a truck would probably get your butt whipped on a country road.  In Muscat , all of these things are considered normal and are encouraged.  You will have an Omani drive up in a new Porsche, lay on the horn, flash their brights, and smile and waive as they pass by.  It is insane.  You may ask what happens for going 140 kph in a 100… You have to pay a $25 ticket when you get your license renewed.  There are about 4 cops in Muscat on patrol at any given time so they avoid giving tickets and hide cameras in trees beside the road.  Evidently they have been in the same trees for the last 4 years and every Omani knows exactly where they are.  I’m sure Liz and I will be the only ones with tickets come renewal time!  

We’ve been doing some car shopping and I have been told to only buy from expats.  They tend to drive slower, get their oil changed, and their cars include all rear view mirrors.  You can always spot a Westerner because they are the only people that have car-seats for their children.  Locals have not picked up on this yet.  You will literally see 6 month old babies climbing over the back seat and playing with toys while the parents drive 125 kph swerving in and out of traffic.  I have never seen anything like it.  Jeff Gordon better watch out if Nascar takes off here.  For now I’m glad they stick to camel racing. 

Now to the good part… our trip to Nizwa.  Our friend Alistair picked Liz and I up early last Thursday morning and we began our trip to the mountains.  Oman boasts of the most shore line in the Middle East as well as beautiful mountains.  We ventured to a city just a few hours north of Muscat .  We started out at their local Souke and did some shopping.  They sell everything from sandals to cattle.  Ali was excited to show us the “sell barn” so we could see livestock auctioned off.  We let him know that, coming from E. Texas , watching people buy livestock is not very out of the ordinary.  We left the shops due to the heat and headed up to Jebel Sham.  We went to the grand canyon of Oman and it was breathtaking.  After a little bit of a hike we drove to the highest point of Oman and hopped on a small dirt road for a zig zag journey down.  There are several communities that live in the mountains.  Liz saw a few kids and was quick to feel sorry for their situation.  I was the opposite.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they feel sorry for us.  They have chosen a simple life in a beautiful area.  It may be hard for a girl to be a princess in the mountains, but it would be a blast being a little boy there.  Everyday would be a new adventure.  There are several campsites on the mountain and we are very excited about trips back in the winter.

I am ready to buy a jeep, scuba gear, and new hiking shoes.  God has blessed this area with a giant playground.  We can’t wait to explore! 





1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to following your life in the beautiful setting. So proud of you and this amazing opportunity.

    ReplyDelete